We’ve all done it!…. Gone past the Mr Pretzel free sample lady more than once, don’t even try to say you haven’t!! 😛
Who can blame us? They taste SO yummy! The comforting warm sweet sensation just takes over your taste buds & makes you reverse, change your hair add some sunglasses a bit like this lil lady –
& grab another sample or 2 before you buy your own to devour! Only problem is deciding on which flavour to choose! I always go for the classic cinnamon, but there are many options!
My son really missed these pretzels!… I would call him Sugar Lips for this exact reason! (picture a face full of sugary cinnamon) Not having access to Westfield Shopping Center, or any other pretzel place, I thought I’d try to replicate the Mr Pretzel recipe & I must say I was highly impressed with the outcome as I’ve never tried to make these before, too much “faffin” for my liking! But when you’ve got a hankering for something sweet & nothing curbs that craving, it’s time to take matters into your own hands & try to show Mr Pretzel that Mrs Pretzel (me) can go one better! These are well worth the faff!
Post Contains Affiliate Links full disclosure can be found on my Disclaimer page.
So here is my lush Cinnamon Pretzel Copycat Recipe!
- 1 pack quick action yeast
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1.5 cups lukewarm milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups very hot water
- 2 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Some caster sugar/cinnamon
- Mix the yeast, salt, sugar and flours in a large bowl (I use my Kenwood Stand > Mixer < for this and mix with a dough hook)
- Stir 100g melted butter into a measuring jug containing the lukewarm milk.
- Gradually pour the milk and butter into the flour and mix.
- You may not need all the liquid. When it comes into a soft ball of dough knead for about 8-10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a plate and let it rise in a warm room until double in size – about 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200 degrees.
- Cut the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Roll each piece into a thin sausage (don’t use any flour or it won’t roll) about 2 feet long.
- To form the pretzel cross the ends of the rope then twist to cross them over again. Take the twisted ends up to the top of the hoop and flip the whole thing over.
- Dissolve the bicarb in a bowl with the very hot water.
- Dip each pretzel into the bicarb water bath.
- Drain them on a cooling rack while you do the rest.
- Rub some butter onto two baking sheets, or use baking paper to keep the pretzels from sticking. Place your wet pretzels onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 5 minutes, spin the tray round and bake for 4-5 minutes more - 9-10 minutes in total.
- While the pretzels are baking, melt the last 2 tablespoons of butter. When they come out of the oven brush each pretzel with melted butter.
- Then dip immediately in the caster sugar mixed with cinnamon, or you could sprinkle them with sea salt and give them a savory twist.
It doesn’t matter if you don’t get these the right shape. They taste amazing any way you wrap them! I even made some into spirals and used plain caster sugar for those who don't like cinnamon.
These turned out so well, my son even said “they taste just like the pretzels in Westfield” …. Well if that isn’t a compliment, I don’t know what is? Once you try these, you’ll want to make them again & again because they will be demolished in no time & everyone will love them!
These need to be tried savory with some Mozzarella Cheese & Pepperoni or keep it sweet & try adding Nutella, or fruit & syrup for a different variety! Would you stay sweet or try them savory? Let me know in the comments below & don’t forget to share!
Very nice I will try to make it soon in Ramadan…
My 14 and 11 year old daughter and son made these today and oh my goodness they tasted amazing! This recipe has been printed and filed into our recipe binder. Thank you!
Oh wow! So glad you loved them! & thanks for visiting! 🙂
Thanks. Will.the mix keep in the fridge to make more later in the week. Or will cook pretzels keep in a tin? Thanks again
Hi Jay, Yes the mix should be fine to keep, I’d say no more than 2-3 days to be sure… thanks for reading & enjoy!
Hi how did you put the pretzels in water
Hi Sumayyah! I just dunked it in whole… you can use a wide spatula if you are afraid of losing the shape of the pretzel…Thanks for reading, let me know how they come out! 🙂
What could i replace the milk with – Someone in the family is intolerant.
Hi Will! You can try any milk substitute like almond milk, or coconut milk… actually almond milk sounds lovely, might try that myself next time! 😊
how much is a packet of yeast because I only have a pot of 100g?? help!! Lol I help this works
Hi! a packet (which I was using at the time) is about one tsp and a half … hope this helps & thanks for reading! 🙂
Made these because I was craving them since we’re still in lockdown and i can’t get them from Westfield. They tasted exactly the same but i had to make do without the bread flour since i couldn’t find any and replaced it with another 2 cups of plain flour since the whole of the UK wants to bake during quarantine 😂. thanks soooooooo much for the recipe.
Yay! I’m so glad you liked them! & yea, feeling you on missing Westfield too! 🙂 enjoy!!
yay! plain flour works….im UK too and struggling with finding flour!!!
Aww thanks for the heads up! Yep, so hard to get any at the moment!
🙁 hope this passes soon, stay safe!
Is it 4 table spoons of butter or 100g? Quite a big difference 😀
Hi Paul! It’s 100g of melted butter to begin with. You may not need all of the liquid, as I mentioned… you can stop once it comes to a soft ball. Hope that helps 🙂
What is the 4 tablespoons of butter forthanks
The butter is to brush onto the pretzels when they come out of the oven (to help the cinnamon/sugar stick)
Do let me know how they turn out & thanks for reading! 🙂
Wow! Can I leave work and go make these right now? (I’ll just tell my boss you said yes) This looks and sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it!
Haha! Yes you can have me to blame I don’t mind! 😜 thanks, let me know how they turn out!