My daughter’s new ‘phrase’ …. not sure, as pointed out by a sister earlier, if it’s Cockney Rhyming Slang for “let’s go”
…. or she just means, lets sparkle & be fabulous?! (I like the latter) 😉
When I asked her today if she would prefer regular zebra cake, or rainbow?…. obviously she shouted Rainbow!!!
Post Contains Affiliate Links full disclosure can be found on my Disclaimer page.
So today, I’ll share my adapted recipe a friend gave me long ago for traditional Zebra Cake, spruced up & looking fabulously colourful! With the help of my trusty sidekick, we got Rainbow’d in the kitchen!!
Rainbow cake is an easy #Bishbashbosh fix & as delicious as it looks! It’s not overly sweet, moist, and just flavored with a hint of cocoa and vanilla! Making the stripes is easy & keeps the kids entertained …. You just need to seperate the batter into bowls…. add the colours, alternate them however you like! & boom! Rainbow cake baby!! So much fun (& mess) making this cake, but so worth it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) baking powder
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup sunflower/veg oil or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder (I used Hersheys)
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, and baking powder.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Using a mixer, beat until the mixture is creamy and light in color, about 5 minutes, add the vanilla.
- Add the milk and oil/butter and continue to beat until just blended. If you are going to use vanilla extract instead of vanilla powder, add it to the mixture too.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat briefly, just until the batter is smooth and the dry ingredients are mixed in (DO NOT OVER-BEAT) The batter should be neither very thick nor too runnu.
- Divide the mixture into bowls, roughly equal portions… I just played by eye.
- Keep one portion plain vanilla.
- Add the cocoa powder & colours to all the other portions (one colour each portion, dont mix them) and stir to blend. (If the consistency of this batter is thicker, add just a little milk and stir).
- Preheat the oven.
- Lightly butter a cake pan and line it with baking paper if using .
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of the plain batter into the middle of the baking pan. Then scoop 3 tablespoons of the cocoa batter, then the next colour of your choice and pour in the center, on top of the plain batter. IMPORTANT: Do not stop and wait until the previous batter spreads—keep going!
- Do not spread the batter or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture—it will spread and fill the pan gradually. Continue alternating the batters until they finish.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 40 minutes. To check if the cake is ready, insert a knife in the center—it should come out clean when ready.
- Remove the cake from the oven
Allow to cool completely before slicing & enjoy! On it’s own, sprinkled with some icing sugar, or like me, with a nice dollop of Custard! (It’s not Ambrosia Devon Custard, but it’ll do!) 😍
This is so easy & versatile, I’ve even made this as a red velvet marble cake before, but that’s another post!! Enjoy! & let me know in the comments below what kinda stripes you’ve made & don’t forget to share!
Leave a comment
Love the cake! I’ll be attempting this with my kids inshaa Allah 🙂 What I love is that it isn’t too complicated to make and it’ll keep them entertained and amused. Thanks for sharing. x
Let me know how they turn out! 😊👌
My second cake recipe in 10 minutes. Clearly it means something (that I need to diet, probably)
Will def be rainbowing it up! I love that, it’s adorable.
Looks so much fun! She made a good choice by going with rainbow 🙂 i wanna try this!
That looks so good! And is a great idea to spend valuable time with kids.
Yes…. lots of colour as ordered by the little lady!…. I prefer 2 or 3… but she had other ideas 😊
My kids love rainbow cakes too… thanks for this recipe… my rainbow cakes are much simpler and don’t have many layers as yours🙂
Yes!!! I measured out lots of dry ingredients to make nutella cookies only to find “someone” has eaten all the nutella. The dry ingredients I cant put back are exactly the same as this rainbow cake. So looks like another ‘lets rainbow’🌈 cake on its way 😁
😂 sounds like a good enough reason to me! Lol